Well no technical article in my blog so i thought i will write one. Its not exactly technical but it feels nice to call it one. Actually its not at all technical, its just a general observation from my side excluding the technical specifications.
From some time i have started seeing this trend of putting windows insulting message in the Yahoo or Gtalk messenger status bar. Some being "You moved your mouse, please restart for this to take effect" or "failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows". There are lots of them to choose from if you just search for it in google. This made me to think is Windows really that bad? Or is Linux really that better?
This days it has become a fashion to Ridicule Windows OS. It is like loving to hate Windows OS. Many of them feel that if they work in Linux they will be considered more technically stronger than when they work on Windows. You put the status message in the messenger and let the world know that you have learnt Linux now or atleast pretend that you have and you are not an ordinary Windows user anymore. And then you will make sure that somehow you start the Windows vs. Linux debate in any general conversations and support Linux so that you can show your superiority. And if this is not enough when you will get a chance to work on Windows any time and your doing a simple copy and paste using ctrl+c and ctrl+v you will shout loudly so that everybody can hear, that its so difficult to do anything in Windows, in Linux it is sooo easy and i am tired of this Windows stuff. And whenever you need to restart windows for some changes to take effect or some device to get installed you will cry that this is the problem with Windows it needs to be retsarted everytime. Windows hangs for some reason and you will give react as the world has fallen apart saying this is the problem with Windows, not at all stable.
What i think that there is one simple thing that makes the difference in popularity of all the products. I am only talking about popularity here. Once anybody creates a product they can have two basic design ideas. First is I will make the product in the way the customer wants to use it. And the second philosophy is I will make the product as I want it to be used by the customer. The thing to note here is that even the first idea will not work always as even the customer sometimes doesn't know what he/she wants. I think it takes a Genius to make the second idea working. I mean its really hard to make a product which you want to be used in a particular way and it may not be the same way as the customer wants to use it and it becomes a hit. Just apply this ideas to Windows or Linux or any other product and you will know why any product is more popular.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I understand the gist of your post but I would still like to comment on one specific thing you said.. well, i am also one of those who puts status messages that make fun of one or the other OS in my messengers. But I would also say (if people can believe) that they are there because they sound funny, without me ever indulging into the thought of how true or how exaggerated they are. And well, in my case, I would attack any OS in my gtalk status messages, as long as it sounds funny to me.
Anyway, coming back to topic. I know and I know that you know that this is an endless debate. Its never gonna end. But I find the whole point of discussing this thing as worhless. I am not Microsoft nor am I Novell, Red Hat, Mandrake or SuSE. So there's not much sense with discussions which simply want to answer "which is best". I would rather say such discussions can be more specific to "which is best for blah blah blah". Its not an Olympic race that the ultimate winner can be only one who gets the gold. And for people who constantly try to prove that "their" OS is best suited for all things in the world.... C'mon we are talking of software and technologies and one thing is suited for something while not for another thing. It just goes like that. Surely, there are competitors.. and there will be. Write your reviews and views but just don't try to declare a gold medalist. That works better and fair.
And I know I am gonna write more about this in future in my own blog. Probably with some real examples.
and as an aside.. you don't need to tell whether what you are going to write is technical or not or whatever... its your thoughts and its your blog. Just write it down there without a thought of what you or people might wanna call it. Period.
Abe tera sense of Humor India chhod kar chala gaya kya tu. Technical Article wala point to maine aise hi dala tha. Mera blog hai isliye to dala tha yeh point warna kyun dalta. Aur yeh techincal debate to baaki log kartey hain .na mujhe aata hai karna aur na hi main karta huun. This was just my funny take on this debate. Itna harsh comment mat likha kar yaar, yeh koi techincal forum nahin hai.
Aur abhi maine Blog padha to chamka mujhe ki maine kisi ko Gold medallist banaya bhi nahin .. maine likha hai ki mujhe Windows jyada pasand hai aur dusra ki yeh jyda popular hai ... Waise bhi tu jab blog likhega tab main technical details padh lunga ..
abey tu poora ulta samajh raha hai be... i did not mean to be harsh.. neither was I joking so there is not supposed to be a sense of humor. My comments were more generic with respect to people who take this debate to their heart and make way more complex than it should be.
jahan tak technical debate hone ki baat hai to tere blog ke first 3 lines are confusing enough when you start with saying that it is technical and end up saying that it is not. :)
Further, I know ki tu kisi ko winner banane ki koshish nahi kar raha tha, neither was I trying to prove that. It was more in general for people who actually try to do that (It's a blog... many would be reading it!)
Your blog and my comment actually came at a time when I had a really heated argument with one of my friends on exactly the same topic. He kept proving that linux is best and windows is crap. In return I only kept trying to prove that his though process itself was wrong. So may be few things from that discussion rolled over to my comments on your post.
But hey, I wasn't fighting! Moreover, I hardly think that I am ever gonna write on this topic (though am not sure!) because endless things should never start!
And for same reasons, I had specifically mentioned that "I know that you know that this is an endless debate". That in simple words meant, "I know that you make sense".
Feeling better?
nicely written. i used to ( and i still sometimes) abuse windows a little :) but i do appreciate the idea of windows itself and its popularity. *nix based systems were initially meant for programmers and no wonder there is not much of user base for it. i also like to emphasize that increasingly user friendly linux based distros are eating windows pie little by little. myself being an enthusiast of technology still lean to the tux a bit because of self induced interest in its powerful feature compared to usability. still agreeing to your comments about "artificial" fans of linux. i would say both are good at what it does.
Post a Comment